I wanted to give everyone an update on where we stand from a legislative standpoint as well as upcoming events.
This General Session as been very successful for the TSRA. Working together, we achieved some great things which benefit all scrap recyclers in the TN. THANK YOU to all who called or sent e-mails to their Reps. and Senators. The communication was tremendous and we COULD NOT have achieved success without YOU!
- TSRA defeated a bill that would require any customer who scraps 5 or more vehicles per year to get a TN Scrap Dealer Permit. This bill was brought with much force through lobbyist efforts but WE were able to get the bill dropped before it went to a vote. That being said, the same people are planning to bring this back next January. NOW is the TIME to contact your local representatives and request them visit your facility. The majority of legislators DO NOT understand scrap recycling. They need to be educated by us on what we do, who our customer’s are and the benefit we bring to the economy.
- TSRA proposed a new bill to streamline the Scrap Registration Program. Basically it allows a scrap dealer to register by location only. There will NOT be requirements to have employee permits as long as they work for the registered company.
- GREAT NEWS THIS BILL JUST PASSED MINUTES AGO 87-0!!
- WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO YOU?
- Increased fees for each Scrap Dealer Registration – Don’t know what this will be yet, but Dept. of Commerce and Insurance will advise us accordingly.
- New law will go into effect July 1, 2017.
- NO MORE RENEWAL OF EMPLOYEE LICENSES!
A Special “Thank You” to our lobbyist Steve Buttry and Kim Adkins for their hours of work this session on our behalf. They truly did an amazing job communicating our message to the legislators!
Lastly, we are scheduling the 2nd annual TSRA Golf outing for end of July or first of August. We are working to secure the location and dates over the next couple of weeks. This year we have grown to in membership especially in our “Associate Level” members. Thank you to all who have joined this year. We look forward to meeting you serving with you in the TSRA!
Please remember….talk about what WE are doing to other dealers, associates and anyone associated with Recycling in Tennessee. We need more members and participation! Point them to the website at tnsra.com for more info.